Quicker mapping / navigation on Mac
Mapping in v5 is slower than v4 for a few reasons for me. (2011 MacBookPro 13")
1) Arrow keys don't move among the branches (as in the docs), they scroll the screen. This forces use of the mouse. A bug?
2) Scrolling is *very* slow. When zoomed in to the map it take a long time to scroll to the other side.
3) In speed mind mapping in v4, simply typing created a new child branch. This is great as it is one of the most common tasks. Now I must first type command-enter which is actually slower.
Now when you start typing on a branch it effectively overwrites (not even edits) the text. Not particularly useful.
Picking Java for iMindmap was a bad choice I guess - 75% of all comments handle about OS specific features missing (due to non native application frameworks).
This one specifically addresses that OTHER unpleasant disadvantage of Java: its speed...
iMindmap 5 relies heavy on calculations and even on a very fast machine, the delays become noticable when having 6 or more loaded branches, on ONE mindmap.
Advantages of switching to Cocoa (MacOS X native framework):
- small learningcurve; nearly the same as Java
- optimized for the system: incredible fast performance
- includes ALL native OS features right away (future features as well)
- internally the mindmap would be PDF, thus easier and smaller for export (not a rasterized image saved as PDF, but resolution independant and possibility for further tweaking in Illustrator or Inkscape)
Even the conventional grab and pull isn't efficient when working with map with many screens of map.
Mini map overview disassociates from content you're working with.
Would like to see mouse scrolling much faster please.
I should mention that the slow scrolling is when using the trackpad on the MacBook Pro.
Just noticed for issue 1,
This seems to effect iMindMap4 maps loaded in iMindMap5 but does not seem to effect newly created iMindMap5 maps.