Any ideas you have that don't fit into other categories...

Improvement in Central Idea text visualization

One of Buzan´s main principles is the importance of the Central Idea. I try to follow this by varying as much as possible the central ideas of my mind maps (googling for images). The problem is that I cannot read central idea text if I do not use the options offered by Imindmap. So you should give us the option to put text in othe positions (under or over the image) and to create coloured backgrounds to contrast with the text, so it´s readable.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EduardoEduardo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my support for this. I work with digital maps a lot, and it's essential that you can ensure that the text remains visible regardless of the background colour or image. The simplest way is a border in a contrasting colour to the text. Even if it's only a single pixel thickness it makes all the difference. Also being able to slightly tweak the position of the text to fit better with the chosen central image.
        This appears to be last under review in 2011 - has there been any movement since then? The single pixel border is trivial to implement, I've done it myself in our software.

• AndréAndré commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totaly support your idea. Any updates on that? This suggestion is over a year old and yet there is no improvement on this important topic...

• jeffersonjefferson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with others it is very important.

It could be improved in many ways:
        1. making possible use fonts filled with a color and with borders in another color.
        2. making possible insert text above, below, left or right of the picture
        3. making part of the image "lighter" where the text is located

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been a MAJOR complaint of mine. For a product that capitalizes on the strength of visualizing ideas, having to have central idea text obscure the visual message, makes no sense. I can use a floating text box, but that presents a problem in presentation mode

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big frustration for me too:
        - Firstly, the text editor for the central idea is not WYSIWYG. The font, and the overall appearance, is totally different while editing it as it is at the end. So - please make it WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) - which has been standard in tools like this for the last decade. Avoid using one font to edit, and another to present.
        - Next - the text of the central idea usually isn't centered relative to the background image. Anyone who is a bit OCD about symmetry (designers are often trained to be) will find this irritating. So - please make it so the text naturally is centered (vertically) which may require that you have data about the background images.
        - Third - as I have mentioned before - please make it so we can use multiple fonts styles (i.e. different fonts / different sizes / different styles) all within the central idea. For example, I want to have a mindmap title, and a subtitle. Right now there is no way to use multiple fonts in the central idea.
        - You should code this so the text sits properly on the different background images, and margins are respected when the background image auto-resizes. Right now, it is possible that the central text is hard to read because it overlaps on the edge of the image because of poor spacing issues.
        - Also - some beautiful central ideas images would go a long way. The current set seems "rudimentary". Think - "beautiful design". Creative people are likely to have highly developed preferences for beauty too.

Note: Getting the central idea part right is very important, because the central idea is where the map creation process starts. I have literally, loaded iMindMap to make some notes about something, then exited the application because the central idea part is implemented in a frustrating way.

• christopher Boydchristopher Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have similar problems with locating text in the central image. I have been putting carriage returns and fullstops in text to make it space "appropriately" bearing in mind the image I am using. This is not really satisfactory so a customisable text box to put in the central image space would be good.

• CarlCarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be some kind of box for the text, which could be dragged around the central image in order to use the best place.

• SaschaSascha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - Please! In the former version you could at least use the enter-key to bring the text in the central idea at the bottom of the central picture. This is impossible in V5. I need to give my central idea (= mostly picture) a heading.

Feedback and Knowledge Base