Any ideas you have that don't fit into other categories...

import from exel, word , project, powerpoint

I'm suprised that you haven't included that ability to import from office documents. I see that some mind mapping files from other vendors can be opened but not the office suite.

I've used MindMapper 2009 previously and that can both import and export from office.

144 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NicTNicT shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FilipFilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am more and more getting engaged on the analytics side of customers' systems. One thing I miss is the ability to look through several maps and correlate how ideas and branches are linked together. That could provide a way (not THE way) to visualize a possible common approach on the ideas put forward.
        This in turn can help how the people do or do not have a common view on things, but not just a small group, but for larger set of people without having to dive into each mind map as such. Tools that can check this kind of thing already exist, but it would help in getting the data out of the mindmap application and feeding these systems with it.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not familiar with how v4's feature worked, but I would like to see in future versions a native folder of imports or absorption of imports into the .imx file. I use mind maps on two separate computers, and have some files linked in temporary locations. Using the same map on two computers that don't have synced file locations (i.e., differing drive letters), or even moving the linked files to better locations can become very troublesome. With the option of having all my imported files (together with iMindMap maps), and the option of importing linked files, using third-party files with iMM would be far less tedious.

Note, also, that it would be quicker and more convenient to be able to create documents et. al. in a context menu, rather than manually launching the native program, creating and drafting the document, saving somewhere, finding where the file was saved, etc. (which, a file search window updated to use the current OS's explorer vs the iMindMap version that does not have an editable address bar would be cool, too).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

iMindMap apps will be death in future if they are not seriously thinking of collaboration with other service and application. iMindMap it's not cheep software and for that money must have collaboration features in two way, export and import.

Very sad iMindMap customer!

• Rich AckersonRich Ackerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote in favor of adding an option to Import from Project.

I had been using MindManager to develop project plans for my company's software development team. When i share the plan with the execs, they don't want to see a mind map, they want a Gantt chart. Since they are already using Project, they don't want me to print out a Gantt chart created in my mapping software, they want an electronic copy that they can open and view on their workstations. Occasionally, the execs also modify the plans on me.

This make it imperative for me to have an option to import from Project; otherwise I have to locate their changes and key them into my map myself.

Thank you to christopher Boyd for suggesting the copy and paste workaround. Not sure if this would work for me though because my execs will not have a copy of iMindMap just like I don't have Project. If they were to copy content out of the Project file, what would they paste it into?

• christopher Boydchristopher Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following exedras62 comment,
        your clients can work around the import problem using a copy/past option from the MS Project file. You can arrange the MS project data columns in the same manner that they are presented in the IMM5 project view (task, % complete, duration, start, end) and then select the relevant tasks and copy/paste to IMM5.
        I would like to know what you do with the information when you have imported it from a management tools that has a much higher capacity to do meaningful operations than IMM5 is capable of. Look forward to hearing from you.

• lesselslessels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm confused! I bought iMM on the basis that v4 could import Word files. I now see that 5 has dropped this functionality. Seriously? What on earth is the logic in this?

• exedra62exedra62 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have clients that have bought imindmap and are now going to revert to Mind Manager because they cannot import from Project. They have a lot of ongoing Project Management work that they wanted to convert to iMindMap, but are unable to do do without that import option. Seems a shame to lose good clients ?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base